Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has issued an official warning against buying breast milk online via the internet or through individuals, saying that this may not be the safest of decisions for their baby’s health. Breast milk is available for sale on some online forums like OnlytheBreast.com and EatsonFeets.org. This milk is usually made available from lactating mothers, who make more breast milk than required for their nursing babies. These sites allow you to choose the age range for the babies, whose generous mothers have decided to sell their breast milk on the site.
International Board Certified Lactation Consultant Sam Doak lists out the order in which various modes of feeding rank
- Mother’s milk is still the best option for the baby
- Milk expressed by the mother
- Human milk from another lactating mother
- Last but not the least, formula feeds
However government agencies have warned,”The donor is unlikely to have been adequately screened for infectious diseases or contamination risk.” So next time, you go online and make a decision to buy breast milk for your baby, be doubly sure of the donor and if possible, get them screened, for any genetic or infectious disease before accepting their milk !!
Being a responsible parent, I would like to discuss about kid’s health. We keep our baby at home with closed door and think that our baby is secured; secured from all sorts of diseases, infection, bacterial attacks,but is it true ? Do you know it is possible that Your house could be host to several such factors that could affect your child’s health and your baby could suffer from sneezing ,allergy or other diseases.Here are the most common ones and ways to deal with them, that I came across while reading through Times Of India and Health Magazine.
- Hand wash:Encourage regular hand-washing or use of hand sanitizers before and after every meal.
- Pollution inside the home:Make sure nooks and corners of your house aren’t ignored as bacteria tend to breed there too.Specially make sure kitchen counters are always clean.It will be a good idea to dust your house regularly so that dust and pollen do not accumulate as these trigger allergies too.”Avoid scented candles and incense sticks, especially around infants and toddlers, as they may make it difficult for them to breathe,” says Dr Gariba.
- Pesticides and insect repellent:Don’t let the baby walk in garden when you are using pesticides to protect your plants.Gives your kids a day out with family member when you are using insect repellent in your home because it may cause breathing problem.
- Mobile/Gadget Radiation:While the technology has given so many good things to us ,it has its evil side also.we have a lot of time to talk with our friend or family member who are sitting thousand of miles away from us even we don’t have time for our family members who are sitting close to us.“Prolonged exposure to radiation from phones and other gadgets like wi-fi enabled laptops can affect their cognition as it causes degeneration of cells in the brain,” Dhwanika explains.So if your child are using mobile or gadgets, limit their usage in terms of call duration.
- Smoking: Don’t ever dare to smoke inside your house, thinking that your child’s room is on the other side of wind, so smoke cannot possibly reach his or her home. You may think that you have just expelled the last bout of cigarette smoke out, before coming to your child’s room. But you will be astonished to know how much damage this can do to your child’s health, especially to their lungs and heart. I am sure, you must have noticed those elevators at your work-place, smacking of foul smell of tobacco ?? Even though, no one smokes inside an elevator, for obvious reason(death :-)), you can still sense that smell. So its highly recommended not to smoke in the vicinity of child’s room and smoking inside the house is nothing but shooting yourself in the foot !!
You may be right in considering your house as the safest place from health perspective, but its not, if you don’t take good care of your baby !!
Anti-Obesity Day is observed all over India on November 26th, 2010.This is a small step towards increasing the consciousness among public for reducing the weight.
You will be surprised to know that overall obesity figure in India standing at 70 million and 17 % of the young in the age group of 14-18 in India are overweight or obese.
Obesity has become alarming problem in India which if often attributed to genes, environmental factors such as eating habits, levels of activity and lifestyle.From heart disease to high blood pressure and urological complication to pregnancy related complication ,obesity attracts a whole lot of ailments.
Someone has studied reducing the weight by 10 k.g can save 3 yrs life for obese person.
So don’t live your life to eat, just eat to live your long life.
Diabetes and wine both are common in India but today we will know how they are related to each other.You will be surprised to know that Research has found that drinking a small glass of red wine every day can help to treat diabetes.Potent “super-food” compounds found in the wine can work as well as a daily dose of medication for people with Type 2 diabetes.
You will think what is Type 2 diabetes?Is it different from diabetes?Then what is Type 1 diabetes?
Someone has told “Diabetes is a time bomb and a large part of humanity is sitting on it, ready to burst. This is a disease caused by societal progress and lifestyle changes”.
Diabetes is caused by a problem in the way your body makes or uses insulin. Insulin is needed to move blood sugar (glucose) into cells, where it is stored and later used for energy.
If you have diabetes, the amount of blood glucose is too high – a condition called hyperglycemia. This happens for one of two main reasons:
- The body is producing no insulin – this is Diabetes Type 1
- The cells do not respond correctly to the insulin – this is Diabetes Type 2
An estimated 16 million Americans suffer from diabetes, about 95 percent of them from the Type II form of the disease in which the body fails to produce enough insulin to control blood glucose levels or fails to efficiently use the insulin produced.
It is now rightly said that more is the consumption of red wine, better is the health of the people of that country, and lower goes the budget spending on health sector. People must freely enjoy this healthy drink, although not forgetting that the excess of anything is bad.
Here’s a quote by Martin Luther: “Who loves not wine, women and song remains a fool his whole life long.”